- Sail Loot Podcast 048: Neil Davies Sails to Cuba and Works Remotely for Sailing Money
- Sail Loot Podcast 042: Wiley Sharp, Part 2 – Owning and Operating a Virgin Islands Sailing Charter
- Sail Loot Podcast 037: Salty Times Sailing to find the Surf with Base and Jamie
- Sail Loot Podcast 027: Couchsailors Jose and Gina Rent All of their Rooms for Sailing Money
- Sail Loot Podcast 020: Leah Kruger Makes Her Sailing Money With Brio
- Sail Loot Podcast 019: Good Anchorage, Get Paid To Cruise
- Sail Loot Podcast 013: Investing Money to Make Money While Sailing the Mediterranean with Franz Amussen
- Sail Loot Podcast 012: From Corporate America to Ottsworld with Sherry Ott
- Sail Loot Podcast 010: Zero To Cruising To Chartering One Love with Mike and Rebecca Sweeney
- Sail Loot Podcast 009: The Overnight Success Dream – It’s a Myth. Get Over It
Sail Loot Podcast 034: Andy Schell, 59-North Part 1
Andy Schell always wanted to be his generation’s “John Kretschmer”. He and his wife Mia are well on their way to fulfilling that goal. Andy has written some magazine articles and I’m sure that he will one day write a book about his adventures.
All Andy ever really wanted to do was buy a bigger boat and take people ocean sailing. He and Mia recently bought Isbjorn, their Swan 48 – S&S Design sailboat. Shortly thereafter they started making ocean passages, they re-fit the boat, started making more passages, started taking paying customers sailing, and the business was born.
The 59-North podcast was a whole different beast. Andy didn’t intentionally put it together as a way to market the sailing business, but it just ended up that the majority of his first passengers have also been 59-North podcast listeners!
It’s a long one because Andy is such a great resource for all things sailing, cruising, and Sail Loot related. It’s Part 1 because you can find Part 2 of our conversation, where Andy turns the tables on me, over at 59-North. Enjoy!
A Few Things You’ll Learn about Andy Schell, Mia, and 59-North in this episode:
- Andy’s parents’ sailing story.
- Andy’s first memories as a human being.
- Cruising the Bahama’s as a child with his family.
- Losing a cat.
- The Schell’s restaurants.
- The true visionary of the Schell family
- Andy’s education.
- Andy’s Schooner Woodwind Interview and Internship
- Why Andy Applied to work for the Navy Morale Wellfare Recreation (MWR) department.
- How and when Andy and Mia met.
- Changing majors.
- Purchasing Arcturus.
- Working for BroadReach
- Working for World Cruising Club
- Purchasing Isbjorn.
- Starting the business of sailing Isbjorn with paying passengers.
- And Much More!
Links and Resources from this episode:
- 59-North Podcast
- Teddy J, Part 2 – on the 59-North Podcast
- Rhodes Chesapeake 32
- Allied Princess 36
- Schooner Woodwind
- Trumpy Yachts
- Elco Motor Yachts
- John Kretschmer – or actually…YayaBlues. I know he’s kind of a competitor Andy, but I don’t think you’ll be too upset with me sharing this link.
- John Kretschmer’s Amazon Page – Buy some of John’s books! (Hint, hint…this is an affiliate link. I get a VERY small commission if you use this link and find some books that you want to buy. There’s no extra cost to you! So, if you use this link…Thanks!)
- John and Amanda Neal – or actually…Mahina Expeditions
- World Cruising Club
- Paul and Sheryl Shard – or actually…Distant Shores.
- The Nerdist Podcast
- Mr. Money Mustache
- Xero.com – the accounting service that Andy and Mia use for their accounting services.
- Libsyn – Liberated Syndication podcast hosting service
- Ting.com – mobile phone/cellular service.
- Google Apps for business.
- Morris Yachts
- Nautor Swan Yachts
- Pantaenius Yacht Insurance
- Lloyd’s of London Insurance
- Bluewater Yacht Insurance – Insurance Broker
- Seven Corners traveler’s insurance.
- Divers Alert Network
Thank you very much for listening to the show! If you enjoyed listening, it has helped you in any way, or you know somebody else that would enjoy it, please share it using the social media buttons that you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the Sail Loot podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one!
Lastly, if you have any questions or comments please leave them below or go ahead and send us an email via the Contact page!