- Sail Loot Podcast 048: Neil Davies Sails to Cuba and Works Remotely for Sailing Money
- Sail Loot Podcast 042: Wiley Sharp, Part 2 – Owning and Operating a Virgin Islands Sailing Charter
- Sail Loot Podcast 037: Salty Times Sailing to find the Surf with Base and Jamie
- Sail Loot Podcast 027: Couchsailors Jose and Gina Rent All of their Rooms for Sailing Money
- Sail Loot Podcast 020: Leah Kruger Makes Her Sailing Money With Brio
- Sail Loot Podcast 019: Good Anchorage, Get Paid To Cruise
- Sail Loot Podcast 013: Investing Money to Make Money While Sailing the Mediterranean with Franz Amussen
- Sail Loot Podcast 012: From Corporate America to Ottsworld with Sherry Ott
- Sail Loot Podcast 010: Zero To Cruising To Chartering One Love with Mike and Rebecca Sweeney
- Sail Loot Podcast 009: The Overnight Success Dream – It’s a Myth. Get Over It
Sail Loot Podcast 027: Couchsailors Jose and Gina Rent All of their Rooms for Sailing Money
Jose has been sailing since he could walk. Actually, he was probably on a sailboat before he could walk, but he was behind the helm by the time he could stand on his own two feet. Gina’s story is completely the opposite, but she’s learning now.
“Where there’s a will, there’s a way,” and Jose and Gina from Couchsailors have found their way. Their way of making their sailing money has been through the creative use of the sharing economy. They’ve found a way to use services such as Airbnb and Boatbound to share their extra (sort of) bedrooms and extra (sort of) bunks on their Beneteau 423, Carthago.
They’ve written a great post about how they’ve mastered the art of Airbnb that you can find here.
In just a few short months Jose and Gina will be joining the Baja Haha to start their cruising adventure!
It was a lot of fun talking to the Couchsailors before they set sail. Enjoy the Sail Loot Podcast to hear all of the details about how they’ve lived nomadically with a bag packed at all times to save money and follow their dreams!
While you’re listening, check out how they’re trying to give back by teaming up with Waves 4 Water to bring simple, high volume water filtration systems to places that need it most. Let’s see if we can help them exceed their goal of 20 filters!
A Few Things You’ll Learn about Jose, Gina, Carthago and their entreprenurial ways of aquiring their sailing money in this episode:
- Jose’s experience at the helm as soon as he could walk.
- Gina’s experience making sure she stayed on the boat.
- Their sailboat timeshare experience.
- Purchasing Carthago.
- Becoming a cleaning crew using Airbnb.
- How Jose and Gina met.
- Using BoatBound
- Offering sunset sailing excursions.
- Their budget for their cruising plan.
- Their cruising plan(s).
- The possibility of having some passive income.
- Why they’re taking off and going cruising.
- Giving back with Waves For Water.
- And Much More!
Links and Resources from this episode:
- Couchsailors – http://www.couchsailors.com
- Wavesforwater – Couchsailors waves for water page
- Couchsailors Airbnb link
- Couchsailors link: Mastering the Art of Airbnb
- Couchsailors link: We’re Going Sailing. But Why?
- Couchsailors in Cosmopolitan
- Airbnb – http://www.airbnb.com
- BoatBound – http://www.boatbound.com
- Getaround – http://www.getaround.com
- Oru Kayak – http://www.orukayak.com
- Cisco Meraki
Thank you very much for listening to the show! If you enjoyed listening, it has helped you in any way, or you know somebody else that would enjoy it, please share it using the social media buttons that you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the Sail Loot podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one!
Lastly, if you have any questions or comments please leave them below or go ahead and send us an email via the Contact page!