- Sail Loot Podcast 048: Neil Davies Sails to Cuba and Works Remotely for Sailing Money
- Sail Loot Podcast 042: Wiley Sharp, Part 2 – Owning and Operating a Virgin Islands Sailing Charter
- Sail Loot Podcast 037: Salty Times Sailing to find the Surf with Base and Jamie
- Sail Loot Podcast 027: Couchsailors Jose and Gina Rent All of their Rooms for Sailing Money
- Sail Loot Podcast 020: Leah Kruger Makes Her Sailing Money With Brio
- Sail Loot Podcast 019: Good Anchorage, Get Paid To Cruise
- Sail Loot Podcast 013: Investing Money to Make Money While Sailing the Mediterranean with Franz Amussen
- Sail Loot Podcast 012: From Corporate America to Ottsworld with Sherry Ott
- Sail Loot Podcast 010: Zero To Cruising To Chartering One Love with Mike and Rebecca Sweeney
- Sail Loot Podcast 009: The Overnight Success Dream – It’s a Myth. Get Over It
Sail Loot Podcast 057: Lazy Geckos Water Conservation Lessons to Save Sailing Money
I had the honor of meeting Jeremiah and Brittany at the Strictly Sail Miami Boat show almost a year ago. By the way, I plan on attending again this year (2018). If you happen to live in the area and have a couch that you don’t mind this sailor/podcaster crashing on for a long weekend…
We looked at boats, took shots at Hooters, and enjoyed our respective time in Miami. Finally, we were able to sit down for a chat this past November. Finally, I’m releasing that chat as a Sail Loot Podcast.
The Lazy Geckos story starts with the familiar desire to get out from behind a desk, yet, they also didn’t want to be stuck sitting behind the wheel of an RV. They found that sailing might be the best option to keep everybody in the family happy.
Would they be able to keep children, pets, and themselves safe while traveling the waters on a sailboat? Of course!
From that point forward it was a question of how the Lazy Geckos would be able to afford the cruising lifestyle on retirement funds from the United States Marine Corps. As you’ll hear, their answer was more about figuring out how to live simpler lives and not giving into the “see now buy now” commercialism mentality that plagues the majority of the world.
Jeremiah and Brittany share so many awesome tips about how they downsized, started saving money and got out of debt to start their sailing adventures!
A Few Things You’ll Learn about Jeremiah, Brittany and S/V Lazy Gecko:
- How the Marines helped inspire cruising life.
- Brittany says “NO!” to riding around in an RV
- Inspiration from Blogs and Vlogs
- Sailing with a baby
- Sailing with dogs
- Getting out of debt
- How they pinched pennies
- Maximizing the money that they saved
- Sailboat shopping
- Purchasing Lazy Gecko
- Sailboat insurance
- Dealing with hurricanes
- Learning to sail. Specifically, mastering docking
- Setting sail and cruising around the East Coast
- Vlogging and Patreon
- Health insurance
- Lazy Gecko is for sale and they’re looking for their next Gecko
- What they’re doing now
- And much more!
Links and Resources from this episode:
- Lazy Gecko Sailing
- Lazy Gecko YouTube Channel
- The Lazy Gecko Patreon Page
- Laho Wind
- SV Delos
- Sailing Totem
- Mr. Money Mustache
- Mantus Marine
- Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina
- Distant Shores
- Sailors Helping
- Sailors Helping Facebook Page
- International Rescue Group
- BVI Relief
- #BVISTRONG Gear Shop – Remember the Adventure’s #BVISTRONG gear shop where 100% of the proceeds go to VISAR’S BVI Relief Fund
- BVI Abroad – Hurricane Irma Facebook Group
- BVI Relief
- Go Fund Me Page set up by Sea Boss and Three Sheets Sailing
- Three Sheet Sailing Facebook Page
- Yacht Sea Boss Facebook Page
- Red Cross Hurricane Irma Relief
Thank you very much for listening to the show! If you enjoyed listening, it has helped you in any way, or you know somebody else that would enjoy it, please share it using the social media buttons that you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the Sail Loot podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one!
Lastly, if you have any questions or comments please leave them below or go ahead and send us an email via the Contact page!